New Years Facts
- Nearly 1 Million people per year gather in New York City's Times
Square to watch the ball drop. Also neary 1 million watch it on TV.
- At Midnight 2,000 pounds of confetti are dropped on the crowd.
- 44% of Americans adults plan to kiss someone at the stroke of 12.
- 61% say a prayer on New Year's Eve.
- 22% admit to falling asleep before midnight.
in the new year dates back 4,000 years to the Babylonians, who
celebrated it at the first full moon after the spring equinox
- At the Mummers Parade in Philadelphia, 10,000 participants march
through the city and perform in elaborate costumes.
- New Years Foods around the World
Legumes and leafy greens (money or
Germany, Ireland, Southern United States
Pork (progress and prosperity)
Cuba, Austria, Hungary, Portugal
cakes and pastries (the year has come full circle)
Netherlands, Mexico, Greece and elsewhere
Long noodles (long life)
- Only 45% of Americans set a New Year's Resolution. These are
the most common:
less and save more
fit and healthy
long do they keep their resolution?
Times Square Ball
- Covered in 2,688 crystals
- Lit by 32,000 LEDS
- Weighs 11,875 pounds
- 12 feet in diameter.